Sunday, April 17, 2005

A Study In Love

I like this poem. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to interpret the title. A study that is in love, or a study in regards to love. I think I intended it to be read either way. But you can be the judge.

They say it starts with a spark,
But I don't know.
It seems like sometimes it just starts.
But how?
Does it just start at "hello"?
Or is it with the first kiss?
Maybe it's none of these.
Perhaps love is, in fact, like a rose:
       It starts off small and plain,
       But with a little bit of nurture,
       And a lot of hard work and painstaking days digging in dirt
       It grows into something beautiful,
Which just ends up dying. Of course,
It leaves you something when it dies -
It leaves you with seeds for a new birth,
And its remains, for a new layer of dirt.
But maybe not.
Maybe love is just a word.
Something people say - like "goodbye".
Maybe.
Maybe love is all of these. Maybe
It's up to everyone to decide for themselves.
In that case love is like happiness:
       For some it's here today
            Gone tomorrow
       While others have it all the time
       And still others - never.
As for me, I've yet to decide.
Do I love food? Do I love
A girl I've only known for a month?
Do I love my family?
Do I love a young child I've never met?
I think the answer to each of these is
Yes.
But where does it start?
Maybe it doesn't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home